Whether leveled by regulators, employees, business partners, or adversaries in litigation, companies must respond swiftly and decisively to allegations of corporate corruption. Independent counsel forms a crucial element of that response—ensuring the integrity of the investigation and avoiding conflicts of interest.
Johnston Pratt designs and conducts internal investigations for companies facing the regulatory, reputational, or litigation risks presented by corruption allegations. We counsel our clients through crisis, often working with corporate security or risk management departments, to discover the truth and to defend the company in a variety of forums.
Our lawyers understand the sensitivity and diplomacy required to interact with internal actors, as well as regulators, law enforcement, and the media. As counsel, we support management and corporate boards by:
- Revealing relevant facts so the company and the board can make fully informed decisions;
- Stopping the corrupt conduct to prevent further violations;
- Memorializing the company’s good-faith response to facts as they become known;
- Insulating management and the board against allegations of complicity; and
- Promoting a culture of transparency and compliance throughout the organization.
Johnston Pratt’s diligence supports your success. We have guided financial institutions through allegations of fraud, bribery, and corruption. We have defeated whistleblower lawsuits at the motion to dismiss stage. We have counseled on sensitive personnel matters, crafted responses to regulatory inquiries, and managed enforcement and remedial actions, all while maintaining the highest levels of discretion.