Robert W. Gifford
Robert Gifford focuses his practice on complex business litigation and handles some of the most complicated cases for large financial institutions. Robert originally trained in the trial and appellate bureaus of the New York County (Manhattan) District Attorney’s Office under Robert Morgenthau. Since then, he has represented a wide variety of business litigants—often as plaintiffs themselves—and obtained numerous significant favorable verdicts and settlements. Robert’s clients have included everything from Fortune 50 companies to small partnerships.
Litigation, Complex Commercial Litigation, Financial Services, Investment Fraud
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1999
- Carleton College, magna cum laude, 1996
- State Bar of Texas, 2014
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- State Bar of New York, 2001
- State of New York Supreme Court, New York Court of Appeal
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Deepwater Horizon Multi-District Litigation: obtained favorable ruling for plaintiff from Delaware federal district court in a matter involving first-impression issues of admiralty law and federal civil practice; also obtained en banc writ of mandamus from Fifth Circuit with respect to decisions made by the MDL court.
- Environmental Litigation: defended major chemical manufacturer against nine-figure claims by state attorney general for natural resource damages allegedly caused by the release of perfluorinated compounds (PFCs) into the environment; obtained landmark ethics opinion disqualifying a major national law firm from representing the state, and won appeal from same.
- Professional Fiduciary Duty Litigation: represented corporate plaintiff in multi-million-dollar action against former law firm for disclosure of confidences and conflict of interest; represented plaintiff insurance company against national law firm and national accounting firm in nine-figure fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claim arising from Ponzi scheme to offer asset-backed securities
- Defamation And Blackmail Litigation: represented corporate plaintiff against a competitor and a Washington D.C. lobbyist for defamation and improper attempt to extort litigation settlement.
- White Collar Defense: represented housing developer in Dallas’ largest public corruption case, resulting in no prison time
- Partnership Disputes: obtained trial victory for half of former partnership in an action concerning disposition nine-figure residential real estate property in New York City.
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of the 5th Federal Circuit
- Harvard Law School Association
- Manhattan District Attorneys Association