Laurie D. Arnold
Laurie is a business attorney, practicing in the area of real estate, commercial transactions, and finance. She is formerly General Counsel for two national real estate investors/developers overseeing legal and regulatory matters related to the companies’ investments, real estate portfolios and operations. Prior to Laurie’s in-house experience, she practiced law in Austin where she focused on commercial real estate acquisitions, dispositions and financing, primarily on behalf of clients in the private equity sphere and a state-chartered bank. During Laurie’s 20 plus years of practice, she gained a broad base of legal and industry experience which she draws from to advise her clients in addressing legal issues and achieving goals and objectives.
Laurie advises commercial real estate and single family residential developers, investors, entrepreneurs, owners, tenants, and asset based and project lenders. Her experience encompasses joint venture investments, construction, development, mortgage and mezzanine loans, purchase/sale/leasebacks of raw land, office, medical office, hospitality and multifamily projects, 1031 exchanges, and leasing. She also advises clients regarding general business matters and transactions including entity formation, corporate governance, due diligence review, regulatory and compliance issues, licensing requirements, and contract review and preparation.
Practice Focus: Business & Corporate, Financial Services, Construction, Real Estate, Projects, Development
- University of Texas, J.D., 1997
- University of Texas at El Paso, B.A. with highest honors in History with Honors Degree and Departmental Honors, 1994
- Southwestern Paralegal Institute, Houston, Texas, 1983
- State Bar of Texas, 1997
Representative Legal Matters
- Counseled private equity developers on all aspects of ownership, financing, development, leasing and operation of over $2 billion in real estate assets, more than 3 million square feet of Class A office space, 35 multifamily apartment buildings, condominiums and a number of limited and full-service hotels across the United States. Examples include:
- oneC1TY in Nashville, TN—a mixed use urban development with 18.7 acres for development plus 4.5 acres of green space, 1 million square feet of office, a multifamily project, 35,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space and hotel project.
- Hall Arts Development in the Dallas Art District, Dallas, Texas, including KPMG Plaza at Hall Arts—an 18-story building, 500,000 square feet of office space, 15,000 square feet of restaurant space and the residential and hotel phases of the planned development.
- Hall Office Park in Frisco, Texas—a 162-acre office development in Frisco, Texas comprised of 17 buildings with 2.5 million square feet of office space.
- Represented residential developer on the sale and development of more than 250 single family lots.
- Represented client in the acquisition of land and financing and development of medical office buildings in San Antonio, Fort Worth, and Rockwall.
- Advised clients on acquisition, construction, mezzanine, EB-5, and permanent loans amounting to more than $900 million.
- Represented lender in connection with proposed development loans for hotels and office amounting to more than $350 million.
- Represented client in the acquisition of a wine business, including brand, and the acquisition, disposition and construction of wineries, tasting rooms, and vineyards as well as advised on aspects of operations and property management, including federal and state liquor licensing and regulatory matters.
- Represented clients in the disposition of office buildings, medical office buildings and multi-family apartment buildings in Texas and throughout the United States.
- Represented clients in all aspects of contract preparation and management such as signage agreements, confidentiality agreements, non-disclosure and non-circumvention agreements, license agreements, grape contracts, service provider agreements, consulting agreements, and management agreements.
- Represented clients in the acquisition, registration and protection of intellectual property, including trademarks and tradenames.
- Advised on aspects of owning, loaning, and financing artwork.
- Represented clients on the acquisition, 1031 exchange, and dispositions of business jets and yachts.
Laurie has been recognized by the Association of Corporate Counsel and D CEO as Outstanding Corporate Counsel and the Dallas Business Journal as Best Solo General Counsel. In addition, she has received the Commercial Real Estate Women of Dallas (CREW Dallas) Outstanding Achievement Award based on her work in the real estate community and currently serves as Director of CREW Dallas.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation, Sustaining Life Fellow
- Dallas Bar Association
- Urban Land Institute
- CREW Dallas
- UT Dallas Institute for Excellence in Corporate Governance
- Dallas Real Estate Discussion Group
Some of Laurie’s present and past community and civic activities include:
- Attorneys Serving the Communities
- CREW in the Community Foundation
- Alzheimer’s Association Greater Dallas Chapter
- Frisco Family Services Center
- Women’s Advocacy Project