David Pratt is a business attorney who practices in the areas of commercial real estate, corporate law, and finance. David previously practiced law with the international law firm of Jones Day where he focused primarily on commercial real estate, corporate finance and partnership law, and worked extensively with real estate private equity funds. David provides sophisticated legal services, responsively and at a predictable price.
David represents commercial real estate developers and operators in all aspects of development transactions, including entity formation, land use planning, purchase and sale, construction, and lending matters. He also represents landlords and tenants in retail, office, and industrial development and leasing transactions. He represents banks and other financial institutions in loan originations involving first lien, mezzanine, and preferred equity structures, debt and equity acquisition, sale, and debt servicing, and guides lenders through workout, foreclosure, and litigation of loan transactions.
David brings a pragmatic approach to legal advice because of his personal business experience. Prior to law school, David worked for the Dun & Bradstreet Corporation as a Financial Analyst where he completed the Management Training Program in Credit and Financial Analysis. He has been licensed by the Texas Real Estate Commission as a broker for over 20 years. Since 2010, David has been the President and sole member of Pratt Holdings LLC, a passive investor in commercial real estate projects. Since 2014, David has been the President and sole member of Pratt Petroleum LLC, a working interest owner in over 4,000 gross acres operated by Pacesetter Energy LLC in shallow San Andres oil formations of the Permian Basin in Andrews County, Texas.
Business & Corporate, Financial Services, Real Estate, Real Estate Financing, Retail, Restaurant & Hospitality
- University of Tulsa, J.D., 1993
- University of Texas at Austin, B.B.A., 1989
- State Bar of Texas, 1994
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern and Eastern Districts of Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- Qualified Mediator, State of Texas, 2004
- AV Preeminent® Rating by Martindale Hubbell
- Texas Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters (2005–2006)
- Best Lawyers in Dallas published by D Magazine, Real Estate Law (2014)
- Elected Chairman of the Dallas Bar Association Real Property Section (2014), Vice-Chairman of the Real Property Section (2013), Secretary of the Real Property Section (2012) and Treasurer of the Real Property Section (2011)
Sales and Acquisitions
- Acquisition, renovation, repositioning, and disposition of Tulsa Mall (Tulsa, OK), Tulsa Promenade Mall (Tulsa, OK), Crossroads Mall (Waterloo, IA), Temple Mall (Temple, TX), Sandburg Mall (Galesburg, IL), Alton Mall (Alton, IL), Lakeshore Mall ( Gainesville, GA), Decatur Mall (Decatur, AL), Promenade Mall (Montgomery, AL), Bellwood Shoppes (Montgomery, AL), Quaker Village Shopping Center (Greensboro, NC), Central Mall (Salina, KS), St. Vincent Mall (Shreveport, AL), and Chapel Hills Mall (Colorado Springs, CO) on behalf of an investment company located in Dallas, Texas.
- Acquisition of an office building portfolio comprised of four office properties located in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex that were collectively valued in excess of $100,000,000 on behalf of a prominent Wall Street based private equity real estate fund.
- Disposition of 11-site $58,000,000 Texas retail portfolio on behalf of a regional real estate company.
- Disposition of 2-site $50,000,000 multifamily portfolio on behalf of a developer.
- Acquisition and financing of $47,000,000 72-site multi-state ground leasehold portfolio and subsequent disposition of same.
- Disposition of 3-site assisted living facility portfolio located in Texas on behalf of a public company.
- Acquisition of a 10 property skilled nursing facility in Texas for $150,000,000 and “Table Flip” Disposition of the same 10 properties for $165,000,000 on the same day on behalf of a private partnership.
- Acquisition of Thanksgiving Tower, a 50 story office building in downtown Dallas, Texas on behalf of a prominent Wall Street based private equity real estate fund.
- Disposition of Fountain Place, a 60 story office building in downtown Dallas, Texas on behalf of a public REIT.
- Representation of buyers and sellers in connection with several tax-deferred exchange transactions.
- Representation of the developer in the acquisition, development, leasing, and sale of the Presidio Junction, a 360-acre mixed-use development at the northeast corner of IH35W and Tehama Ridge Parkway in Ft. Worth, Texas on behalf of a private investment fund comprised of pension fund investors.
- Representation of the developer in the acquisition, brownfield remediation, development and leasing of Mockingbird Station, a major mixed-use development in Dallas, Texas comprised of retail shops, 100,000 square feet of office space and more than 200 residential units.
- Representation of the developer in the structuring of the joint venture, including a land contribution, construction financing, development and leasing of Arlington Highlands, a major mixed-use development in Arlington, Texas.
- Representation of the developer in the aggregation of three parcels, development and leasing of The Shops at Park Lane, an upscale shopping center in Dallas, Texas, just across from NorthPark Center, on Central Expressway.
- Disposition and fee development of the Texas corporate campus for a large telecommunications company on behalf of a public company in Richardson, Texas.
- Development and financing of a prominent luxury high-rise residential condominium project in Dallas, Texas on behalf of a foreign development company.
- Acquisition, zoning, platting, permitting, development and financing of various multifamily projects in Dallas and Austin, Texas area on behalf of a development company ranging from $18,000,000 to $47,000,000 in value.
- Representation of a developer in connection with the acquisition, and redevelopment of a retail property into a mixed use property, and financing of a property ground leased by Sears adjacent to the Tollway, near the Galleria Mall, in Dallas, Texas.
- Representation of a REIT in the development of industrial properties in Texas.
- Representation of a public railroad in the development of an intermodal in Wilmer-Hutchens Texas.
- Closed over 2,000 loans on behalf of over 10 different lenders ranging from $1,000,000 to $35,000,000 in principal amount (includes permanent, conduit, construction, mezzanine and leasehold financing secured by retail, office, multifamily residential, industrial and hotel projects located in 12 states).
- Local Texas counsel issuing enforceability opinions and reviewing local documents in connection with over 25 multi-state mortgage loan transactions on behalf of institutional lenders.
- Lender’s counsel on fifty-six separate securitized loan transactions involving more than $150,000,000 in aggregate loan value, on behalf of two conduit lenders secured by office, retail and apartment properties in Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Michigan, Texas, and the District of Columbia.
- Pro bono representation of a national bank’s community development division in an acquisition and renovation loan made to a non-profit group secured by a former convent, the transaction involved low-income housing tax credits, county grants, historic building tax credits, city grants, and interim debt financing for use as a mixed-use retail and multifamily property and artists colony known as Art Space in Ft. Worth, Texas.
- National leasing representation on behalf of an international restaurant development company in build to suits, ground leases in line leasing transactions.
- National leasing representation on behalf of a national salon located in regional malls.
- Representation of a tenant in connection with the office lease of over 60,000 square feet on two floors in downtown Dallas, Texas.
- Representation of the owner of Republic Center in the leasing of over 1,000,000 square feet of office space in downtown Dallas, Texas.
- Representation of an investment company in a $206,000,000 credit-tenant sale-leaseback and financing transaction involving seventy-six CVS drug stores located in eighteen states (Alabama, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, and Virginia) and the District of Columbia.
- Representation of an investment company in the $59,650,000 credit tenant sale-leaseback and financing transaction involving thirty 7-11 convenience stores located in eleven states (Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, New York, Texas, and Virginia).
- Representation of an investment company in the $283,000,000 credit-tenant sale-leaseback and financing involving a total of ninety-six CVS drug stores located in fifteen states (Alabama, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Virginia) and the District of Columbia.
Workout and Restructuring
- Workout and restructuring of a $190,000,000 credit facility secured by office buildings located in 4 different states on behalf of a syndicate of institutional lenders and international investors.
- Restructuring of $67,000,000 state pension fund real estate portfolio with insurance company lender on behalf of a major pension fund advisor.
- Assisted with the real estate aspects of the restructure and bankruptcy reorganization of a large Texas-based insurance company and the related asset dispositions.
- Workout of $75,000,000 loan secured by premiere office building in downtown Dallas, Texas.
- Restructuring of a $48,000,000 loan secured by a Texas retail portfolio on behalf of a regional real estate company.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Representation of buyers and sellers in various strategic relationships involving the purchase, sale or combination of businesses, ranging from the sale of stock or assets, merger agreements, co-marketing or joint venture arrangements, leveraged buyouts, recapitalizations, and reorganizations.
- Representation of seller of stock and assets in chain of emergency centers in Dallas and Lubbock, Texas.
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Dallas Bar Foundation
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association (Chairman, Real Property Section, 2014)
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- North Texas Chapter of the Urban Land Institute
- North Texas Commercial Association of Realtors
- Real Estate Financial Executives Association
- Real Estate Council of Dallas (Member and Associate Leadership Counsel Alumnus)
David is married and the father of two young sons. When not working, David enjoys coaching youth sports teams and volunteering as a Cub Scout Den Leader. The Pratt Family lives in University Park, Texas, where they regularly attend Christ the King Catholic Church. David is a member and active volunteer with the St. Vincent De Paul Society and Knights of Columbus Council 799.